Mac is one of the finest computer operating system with millions of users. Though it is most secured and user-friendly OS, users also facing some error while using it. One such predominant error in recent times is “The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found. (Error code-43)”. In this article, we are presenting you 3 easiest methods to fix error code 43.
WHAT IS ERROR CODE 43
This error generally occurs while deleting file or moving it to trash or moving the file from place to another. According to the data collected by Mac official forum, This error predominantly occurs on OS X El Capitan or OS X 20.2 systems. This error occurs rarely on remaining systems.
When this error occurs, you will get the following message on a small prompt on your Mac computer.
The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found. (Error code-43)
If you face this error, you don’t need to worry about it as it can be fixed easily.
CAUSES FOR ERROR CODE 43
Many people are trying to fix the issue without knowing the possible cause for it. We can easily fix the error 43 by following any of three methods given below. But, If we know the possible cause behind the issue, we can easily prevent occurrence of this error-43. All the possible causes are given below. I strongly suggest you to know them.
1. ILLEGAL CHARACTERS
Generally, mac won’t allow some characters in file names. Some of such characters are @ ! # % ^ $. If the file name contains these errors and if we want to delete or move this file, We will end up with an error. So, while naming any file, avoid these illegal characters. If you find the file you are trying the move/delete contains these characters, Simply rename them to fix the issue.
2. NO SHARED POINT
Error-43 may also occurs when finder on your Mac unable to access file because it missed the shared point. Meaning finder is unable to find the allocated memory for file.
3. INCOMPLETE DOWNLOAD
This error can also occur when you try to delete the file for which download process is still in progress. You can easily fix this by completing the download or completely cancel the download process.
4. LOCKED FILES or ACTIVE FILES
If you try to delete the locked files before unlocking them, You will end up with error-43. You many also face this error while deleting or moving active files (Files which are opened). So, before deleting any file, make sure you closed the file and unlock it (If it was locked)
5. HARD DRIVE
A damaged or corrupted hard drive always leads to Error-43 on Mac PC. One need to replace the hard disk to fix the issue.
HOW TO FIX MAC ERROR CODE 43
As I mentioned earlier, There are three easy methods to fix this issue. If one method won’t work, You can move on to another. Step by step procedure for each method to Error-43 is given below.
1. RESET PRAM OR NVRAM
PRAM and NVRAM abbreviations stands for Parameter Random Access Memory and Non-volatile Random Access Memory respectively. It is the small memory used by Mac to save certain settings in such a way that we can access them quickly. Resetting PRAM or NVRAM will resolve most of the problem related to files access. We can also resolve this issue by resetting PRAM or NVRAM. Here’s how we can do this.
- First of all, Shutdown your Mac PC.
- Press and hold Command, Alt, P, and R keys simultaneously.
- Now turn on your PC.
- Continue to hold above keys until you hear PC starting sound 3 times.
- After hearing the sound third time relax the keys.
This is the simple way of fixing Error-43 on Mac by resetting PRAM or NVRAM. If you are unable to hear PC starting sound 3 times while restarting your device, You need to repeat the above process again. PRAM or NVRAM resetting happens only after 3rd starting sound.
2. USE DISK UTILITY
Disk utility is Mac in-built feature to deal with file storage. As Error-43 is always associated with missing and corrupted file or directories, We can use disk utility feature to fix the issue. Here’s how we can do this.
- The hard-drive on your device may be divided into many partitions. Find the partition the corrupted file belongs to.
- Now, Restart your Mac device. If you are new to Mac, Click on Apple symbol on the top left corner of the screen. You can find restart option in the drop down menu. Simply click on it.
- While restarting, Press and hold Command and R keys until Apple logo appears.
- Now you can see multiple option. Select Disk utility option.
- On new window, Select the partition or disk the corrupted file resided. Now click on First-Aid option and continue the disk utility check process.
- Once the process finished, You will get a complete report of the disk status.
Here’s the list of all possible reports. Take the action according to the report your device is showing.
1. Over Lapped Extent Allocation
If two or more files occupy same space on disk, You will get this over lapped extent allocation report. To occupy same space on disk, one of the files must be corrupted. You find all corrupted files list in DamagedFiles folder. Go ahead to the folder and repair or delete the corrupted files to fix error code 43 on Mac OS.
2. The Underlying Task Reported Failure
This report occurs when disk utility check process terminated automatically. One needs to manually click on First-Aid option to initiate the process again. If the problem still persists, Take the back up of the disk and format it.
3. No Issues
If disk utility check process shows No issues, There are no errors associated with the disk.
If the above methods won’t help you, go ahead and try the last method.
3. DELETE LOCKED FILES
If the above methods won’t worked for you, Error-43 issue might be occurring due to locked files. You can go ahead and unlock them. But if you don’t know how to unlock them, There is way to delete these files without having to unlock them. Here’s how to delete them manually.
- Go to Applications>>Applications>>Terminal. Login to Terminal as a Administrator.
- Once you open the Terminal, run the following command and Enter
chflags -R nouchg
- Now open the trash on your Mac. Select all file by pressing CTRL+A keys simultaneously. Drag and drop all those files on to Terminal window. This will empty the trash completely.
This method will fix error code 43 by deleting all locked files.
Hope these methods helped you to fix Error code 43 on Mac OS. This error generally occurs while moving or deleting files on Mac. If you are still facing the issue, feel free to comment below. We are happy yo help you.Follow Us