Have you ever wonder why your foreground apps are running slowly even if you are not running any application on background? This is because your computer CPU is setting less priority to the foreground apps. In this scenario, Is there a method to set CPU priority to prefer foreground apps? Yes there are working methods to set an foreground applications to high priority and this article is all about it.
WHAT IS CPU PRIORITY?
Like humans, Computer CPU also has some priorities to services and application in the system. Its like importance given to the process or program by CPU. High the priority of applications/services will get more resources and time compared to low priority processes.
If you open your task manger, there are lot of programmes continuously running in the back ground. These processes and programes keep the system working. These processes are there even if you won’t open any application on your computer. CPU will naturally assign some priorities to these processes. The amount of priority given to each program by CPU depends on various factors.
Fortunately, CPU priority level (Magnitude) is not entairly in the hands of CPU. Though wee can’t adjust CPU priority for any particular application but there are ways to increase or decrease CPU usage priority for foreground or background applications. We can set CPU priority to prefer foreground apps if we want to perform well and vice versa.
HOW TO SET CPU PRIORITY TO PREFER FOREGROUND APPS
There are two ways to change the CPU process priority on Windows 10. Both methods are working. You can use whatever appears to be easy for you. The first method involves changing setting on control panel and the second method involves editing Windows registry. Lets look at each method separately.
METHOD 1. ADJUST CPU PRIORITY USING CONTROL PANEL
This method is very simple. We just need to tweak some settings in control panels to set CPU priority to prefer foreground apps. Before going through the instructions, make sure you logged into the computer in Administrator mode. Some shortcuts used in this guide working on Windows 10 computer. Windows 7 and Windows 8 may not support all these shortcuts.
- Press Windows + X key simultaneously to open quick access menu. Click on control panel option there to launch control panel.
- Click on System & Security option in control panel. If you are unable to find it, You can use search bar to find it.
- Now tap System. Click on Advance System Settings in System Window. You can find this option on left side of the screen.
- As soon as you click on Advanced System Settings, System properties dialogue box will appear.
- Select Advanced tab in System Properties dialogue and Click on Settings option.
- A new pop up will appear on the screen in the name of Performance options. Simply select the advanced tab again and select Programs to set CPU priority to prefer foreground apps.
- Click Apply followed by OK options to apply the changes.
In recent computer and laptops this option is selected by default. Meaning many new computer devices are optimized for foreground applications. If you want to further optimize your computer for foreground applications and processes, follow the second method.
METHOD 2. ADJUST CPU PRIORITY USING WINDOWS REGISTRY
This process involves modification of DWORD value. As we are dealing windows registry, I strongly advice people to be carefully follow the steps given below. A small mistake in editing registry files leads to malfunction of your computers.
- Press Windows + R keys simultaneously and type in regedit in run box and hit Enter to launch Windows Registry editor.
- Navigate to the location given below on your windows registry editor.
Note: Win32PrioritySeparation function governs the priority difference between foreground and background applications. Generally the values for Win32PrioritySeparation are REG_DWORD 0, 1, or 2 where 0, 1, or 2 respresents the difference ratio of foreground and background applications.
- Simply double click on Win32PrioritySeparation file. A small prompt will appear on the screen. By default, Value of Win32PrioritySeparation is set to 2. So, change it to 26 (This is the optimum number) to set CPU priority to prefer foreground apps.
Note: Settings Win32PrioritySeparation value to 26 will be useful while using heavy games like Fallout. Setting its value to maximum will prevent games like Fallout 4 from crashing.
Also read: How to fix Fallout 4 Crashes on Startup
- In some cases, its also important to give priority to background apps. In such cases you can enter any number between 10 to 26 depending on need for background applications.
Note: Don’t alter any other settings while editing windows registry file.
These are two ways to set CPU priority to prefer foreground apps on Windows 10, 8, and 7 computers. If you have any issue or want to add something to this article, Please comment below.Follow Us